Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Story Not about GMOs, but Leading to a Link about GMOs

Read this brief story/account of the experience I had today which led to my renewed interest in genetically-modified foods (well, read if you're interested and/or bored and/or desirous for an image of simple, common life). Read it if you want to see the value I found in being a detached observer rather than a victim of a situation; the value I found in the calmness and good-nature of those around me (the effects of calm environments on us, the value of establishing them when we can, therefore).

Or, if you're not interested in that, skip to the link at the end and read about genetically-modified foods! If you think you don't care, you might come to care. If you do know and care already, a reminder may be nice. If you don't care and don't want to care and won't care, read it for basic education. Why not?

The account:

I went into Zerbo's Health Foods store today. I was buying Kombucha tea (try it!). The woman in front of me at the cash register first had to go back into the aisles to exchange one of her many items; then searched her wallet for her credit card; then, even though the cashier offered a store pen sitting on the counter, the woman said, "I have a pen, just one moment!" and started digging again into her purse; then she pulled out a comically-large green pen; then she signed her name for an abnormally long time; then she started "carefully reorganizing" the mayhem in her purse before acknowledging me by saying, "oh, I just need to put this stuff back in my purse--you go ahead!" The cashier then smiled and rang me up for my one item, the tea, took my money, and handed me change in a matter of one minute.

All while the woman was at the register checking out, I simply stood at a distance behind her and observed. I smiled a bit at certain points. The woman herself seemed very good-natured. Her demeanor was light and she held a slight upturn of the lips. She was slender, with plain clothing, a small backpack, and a winter hat. I liked her vibe when I first walked up behind her. I became less enthused when she fumbled and caused my delay, and for a moment I even moved to agitation. But as I stayed true to my plain observation of the scene, the sense of her innocence swelled back up and resonated in me, as it seemed to do in the cashier as well. So I regained my composure and felt the woman and cashier's calmness transfer into me.

My mom had done me a favor by driving me to the store for this tea. She wanted it to be quick, because now she would have to rush for her upcoming meeting. So this circumstance, too, raised the chances of my irritability at the woman's slowness; and thus also increased my delight when I felt calm instead.

After I had purchased the drink, I picked up some free magazines about health. Then I quickly walked out of the store so that my mom wouldn't have to wait any longer. But just outside the exit and with weak eye contact, a man on a cell phone looked at me and my magazines and asked if I had "that magazine."
"Are you talking to me?" I inquired, a bit startled, and confused because I saw the phone in his hand as well. I had almost just walked away, assuming he wasn't talking to me, or else using the potential misunderstanding as an excuse to ignore him and keep going swiftly to the car.
He proceeded after a brief pause (where again, I could have scurried off, but I didn't want to be rude, so I lingered a moment longer):
"Oh, yes, you have it. Page 21. You know about GMOs? Read it!"
I quickly replied, "Yeah, I do. I'm interested! Thank you, but I have to go. I'll read it."

It was a strange interaction that occurred with this man, and it happened at all because the woman in front of me was slow and disorganized, yet her attitude kept me receptive to people at this time.
So I got in the car and told my mom about the simple events. We drove home. I read the article on GMOs in the magazine. Page 21, just as he said.

The website link I'll leave a bit below came from the end of the magazine article.

Genetically-modified foods are frightening (of course tons of other food treatment and tampering is also frightening, but right now I'm only looking at GMOs), and they're even more alarming because they're hidden or disguised. So please do check them out.

Please check them out again even if you think you know. That's what I did, and it was an excellent reminder of how little control we can have over our food--what we literally and spiritually become through what we may carelessly eat.

I know there are biases, I know there is more research to be done. I'm not asking that you immediately (or ever) accept the information from this link (in fact, I ask that you question it and look further yourself, if you're interested, which I hope you are).

The fundamental hope is that you'll help humanity begin to regain control over the treatment our food, and help to send out waves of appreciation for the nourishing, honest goodness of the natural world, left alone, pure, simple, and observed.

Give your body and soul some love. Give your self some love.

The link: 

http://nongmoshoppingguide.com/brands/fruits-and-vegetables.html

Thanks for reading, as always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment